Wednesday, April 29, 2009

i just had a decently-sized craving for summer vacation.

we all love our fair share of escapism - the movies - the music - reality tv - but growing up, summer vacation was definitely the highlight of my year. no more sitting in class. no more homework. no more bad weather. summer vacation is the truest escape of them all.... for kids anyway. and being the planner that i am and was from day one, around this time of year, april - may, i always started looking for summer activities: sports camps (hated them), art classes (a favorite), summer jobs (anything by a pool), and trips with the fam of course (i really always have enjoyed these!).

but unless you become a teacher, 3 months of fun doesn't exist anymore. once committed to a 9-5, there's nothing but a change in jackets for summer. every day will still be a workday, and every night, saturday, and sunday will still be my only chance to satisfy the cravings of freedom and guilty pleasures.

but maybe it's better this way. when i was a kid, i couldn't afford a thing, and all that time went to waste. now i've got to choose my activities wisely (definitely avoiding sports camp) and make the most of my nights and weekends.

i think i'm doing well at that. last night i went to the echo with a bunch of friends, and then completed my evening with a sleepover. i refuse to let having a job take over my fun. i mean... maybe i'll have something different to say about all of this after my review with my boss later today, but for now, i'm going maximize my time off - and appreciate the fact that i get to do what i want, even if it is mostly while the sun is asleep.

and on the flip side, as much as i always loved summer break, i also really loved shopping for school supplies. and now i spend 40 hours a week with a computer, desk lamp, stapler, and a never-ending supply of ball point pens. if only they'd order me some highlighters....

No comments: